Jamaica villa rental Last week shared traditional Jamaican cocktail recipes
Planning Your Cultural Vacation to Ocho Rios Jamaica Continued
Last week we shared some delicious traditional cocktail recipes that you can make in your own kitchen to get you excited about your upcoming vacation to Ocho Rios. In this installment, we share a recipe to create one of the most famous Jamaican local foods: Jamaican Beef Patties. This is delicious ground beef seasoned to perfection and surrounded by flaky pastry.
It is the perfect combination of cultural and comfort food that tastes fantastic with a rum-based cocktail, Red Stripe beer, or fresh fruit juice. These are not going to taste exactly like the Jamaican patties—but they’re still pretty delicious. During your vacation in Ocho Rios take an afternoon to venture out to the market and compare your creation to the traditional recipe!
- 2 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp of kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- ¼ cup cold water
- Olive oil
- ½ lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup beef stock
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp allspice
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Black pepper, ground
- 1 tablespoon dark Jamaican rum
- 1 egg, whisked, for glaze
Sift the dry pasty ingredients together. Cube chilled butter. Using a pastry blender or your fingers cut in butter to create coarse crumbs. Add water to create a dough and place to refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Coat inside of a large skillet with olive oil. Heat to medium, add chopped onion and ground beef. Cook until browned. Drain out any extra liquid and then add salt, spices, garlic, scallions and pepper. Add breadcrumbs, beef stock, and rum.
- Turn pan down to medium-low (the mixture should be simmering). Cook for 5-10 minutes to reduce the stock.
- Let filling cool to room temperature before forming the patties. At this time you should take the pastry dough out of the fridge and bring to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll the dough out to a little under ¼ inch thickness. Using a medium sized bowl, create as many circle cutouts as the dough will allow. Place filling in each circle. Close the patty into a half-moon shape, seal the edges with water, and crimp. Brush the top with egg and prick several holes with a fork for moisture to escape.
Place on a nonstick baking tray, cook for 30-35 minutes
Be sure to book your accommodations with us at Jamaica Ocean View Villa Rental (Villa Serenity) where we specialize in family vacations. Our villa is fully outfitted for families with cribs, high chairs, toddler dinnerware, game room, bar, backyard barbeque, cabana, pool, beach, beach club access, and more.
We specialize in family vacations where memories are cherished for years to come.
Contact us if you have questions or would like a detailed quote for your ideal dates.